Sunday, June 21, 2009

La Fête de la Musique

Hurrah for the French government! Every June 21st is a musical celebration in France. The streets of every city in the country are open to anyone who'd like to perform. Music goes all day long until 2 a.m and it's all free!


Hearing this, I pictured amateur bands crammed up next to each other, a motley crew of classical, rock, punk, reggae, indie, and pop knocking elbows, their musical equipment tangling and mixing. I suppose it could be like this, but I didn't stick around long enough in Lyon to find out. Sadly, my last train home left at 8.22 and apparently the music really gets going at night.

I met up with some friends in Lyon's Parc de la Tete d'Or to have a picnic. As I was the first to arrive, I planted myself next to a Jamaican music tent filling the cool morning air with happy reggae. We camped out and lazily rocked back and forth to the music until evening when we went to explore whatever musical discoveries were to be had.

It was easy to find music. One just had to perk one's ears up like a dog, listen for music, and walk towards the sound until they became louder. We found a stage next to the Hotel de Ville. The band there was doing a cover of a famous French band called Noir Désir . I had never heard of them before, but someone told me that everyone in France knows who they are. Well, not everyone.

Above: me, Patricia, Indira, and Mia-Lisa in Lyon right before I hopped the metro to get home.

In order to make up for not being able to see bands staked out on every street corner late into the night, I'm watching a live coverage of the Fête in Paris on TV.

7 comments:

eszpee said...

too bad you missed it! it was really almost one band every corner in crois rousse, where we couldn't escape from during the night.

and lots of amateur stuff too, but it had really a great mood. i shot this half-covering the mic: http://kispad.hu/muvhaz/200906/a-zene-unnepe-lyonban.html - you can see that probably they are locals, playing for locals, just for fun.

peter

jeremy said...

tork jo, kattika!!

are you close to saint paul de vence? i've got a lovely lady in madison, and she's there with her fam right now. she was telling me about the music fest, but it didn't make sense until you wrote about it, too!

puszika!

Kat said...

Peter, after thinking you might get run over by each car that passed down the street, I couldn't believe that the band itself was right there in the street, cars whizzing by. Nice video! Yeah, it's a shame I missed it :-(

Kat said...

Jer, I don't know where saint paul de vence is. Is it in the north, south, west...?? I'm southeast central (if such a direction exists) near Lyon.

jeremy said...

SE of Lyon. Toward Nice. From the pictures, it looks nice, lowercase "n."

Unknown said...

All I know is that the best French-titled album is "Outlandos d'Amour" by the Police (it's the annoying Police CD I used to play on repeat in Watterson).

Kat said...

Um, how come I don't remember this song?...must look it up right away.