Thursday, November 6, 2008

Pieces of Belgium

We encountered mist, fog, rain, clouds, umbrella wind walks, chocolate hangovers, new Flemish vocabulary, weird hostel roommates, and plenty of boot shops. Doors opened, stairs were climbed (366 in the Brugge Belfry to be exact), umbrellas used, trains chased, feet blistered, chocolate devoured, sipped, and stewed. Another corner of Europe discovered..



Me biting off the arm of my complimentary chocolate from the Chocolate Museum in Brugge. I learned a lot of random facts about chocolate and also endured some blatant advertisement pushing. "Chocolate does not make you fat," cried the sign. "If you are slim and eat plain chocolate, you will not get fat." Does that mean I can't slather my plain chocolate with peanut butter? "If you are overweight, slim down first, then you can eat chocolate."

Chocolate dinosaur in Brugge chocolate shop window. There was also a skeleton head made of chocolate in honor of Halloween. Belgian chocolate is so good because it's refined more than ordinary chocolate, so that it tastes smoother (info courtesy of Chocolate Museum).


Brugge canal



Brugge Markt, main square





Brugge buildings in Markt



View from Brugge Belfry




My Costa Rica hot chocolate. The best one I've ever had.



Leslie, AJ, and I in Brugge





Here's the aftermath of the "morning rush" in Brugge. We were almost mowed down by biking commuters, cruising by expertly on their bike path located centimeters away from the actual sidewalk. I'd rather be hit by a bike than a car. Less dangerous and the culprit would undoubtedly be more environmentally saavy.



Me in Ghent. It was cold and rainy here for most of the day, so we hung out in shops and cafes, but did manage to catch this view on a bridge. I had to pose a little to punch up the dreary view.




Here's the view again. Looks like it did just fine without me.





The chocolate beef stew that AJ, Leslie, and I ordered for our last dinner. (This was the same place we went to for our hot chocolates). The stew actually had tiny little chocolate chips in it. Think of that the next time you don't think it's possible for two unlikely foods to merge. Not bad, not bad at all.





My not so permanent souvenirs





The E.U. building in Brussels





The entrance to Parc du Cinquantenaire Brussels

Main square of Brussels at night.

No comments: